“The quality of your school’s student leadership will define the quality of student life on campus. Leadership can be taught and it starts with building a culture that encourages real leadership and provides on-going training for those leaders.”
Mike Weber, The Leadership Institute
Student Leadership is an important aspect of life at SVP. As students progress through their education, it is important that they accept additional roles and responsibilities, preparing them for life after their education. Being a student leader enables our young champions to develop their abilities to make an ethical and social impact within the school and in the larger community.
Here at SVP, we have many Student Leadership roles within both the primary and secondary school. The student council in both the primary and secondary school plays a vital role of ensuring the student voice is heard.
Student Council plays an important role at SVP by:
- Being a positive example to others
- Providing an open forum
- Raising funds
- Being a part of certain events
In other words, being on Student Council is something that will help our students become responsible and active members of the community.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Leads all meetings
- Gives assistance, guidance, and praise
- Acts as a facilitator during discussion
- Maintains frequent contact with school management and students
- Works with advisor (Vice Principal) on all planning
- Participates in student council sponsored activities/events
- Works closely with President
- Assumes President’s duties when needed
- Works with President and Treasurer in preparing event proposal and budget
- Assists the President in preparing meeting agendas
- Oversees council expenses and revenues
- Maintains an accurate and detailed financial record
- Gives monetary advice to the council
- Authorizes payment/deposits
- Works with President and Vice President in preparing event proposal and budget
- Keeps an accurate account of attendance at every meeting
- Helps maintain student council files
- Maintains contact information of people who work with the council
- IS Responsible for “Thank You” cards
- Keeps student body informed of events, fundraisers, and service projects
- Obtains approval for events
- Is responsible for communication between schools
- Helps maintain student council website
- Supports student council officers (President, Vice President, Treasurer, Secretary and Publicity)
- Organizes other members (not student council officers) to plan and oversee specific Council activities
- Has an average score of not lower than seven in all subjects
- Good communicator (oral and written)
- Disciplined (comes to school on time, submits homework on time, good attendance)
- Good manners/behaviour
- Candidates must write an essay explaining why they would make a good student council representative
- Homeroom Teachers choose five best essays (that have passed the four criteria)
- Student promotes him/herself (Campaign)
- Joins the Leadership camp to sharpen their skills.
- President candidates give a speech on election day on the stage
Events held by Student Councils:
- 2013-2014 : Collected Used Books and donated them to the needy
- 2014-2015 : Fund Raising activity and the money collected was donated to the nearby orphanage
- 2015-2016 : To support Earth Day, the student councils bought some cleaning utensils to be donated to SDN Sepanjang Jaya VII
- 2016-2017 : To support Conducive Environment theme, the student councils held an event consisting of varied activities from Grade 1-6.
- 2016-2017 : Worked collaboratively with Grade 5 HRT collecting used toys and donated them to Sekolah Tunas Mulia and Panti Asuhan Akhiruzzaman.
- 2017-2018 : Supported the Athletic Days as the chaperones during the competition.
- 2017-2018 : Helped the administrator in organizing students’ tardiness during flag raising ceremony.
STUDENT LEADERSHIP IN SECONDARY
Students learn and apply their leadership skills in the Student Council organization. The organization plays the role as a medium for students’ voice in school activities. The Student Council members are very important as a role models in the school. The responsibilities of Secondary Student Council are :
- Working with the staff, Board of Management and Parents’ Association of the school
- Communicating and consulting with all of the students in the school
- Involving as many students as possible in the activities of the Council
- Planning and managing the Council’s programme of activities for the year
- Managing and accounting for any funds raised by the Council
Secondary Student Council committee roles :
- The President has responsibility for presiding over meetings of the Council.
- President with vice president prepares the agenda for each meeting
- The president may also be designated to represent the Council at meetings with school management.
- The vice president is responsible for assisting the President, and when the President is absent from a meeting s/he assumes the role of the President for that meeting.
Secretary and Vice secretary
- The secretary with vice secretary prepares the agenda for each meeting
- The secretary circulates it to all the members of the Council either in advance of the meeting or at the start of the meeting
- The secretary keeps a record of Council meetings and any decisions taken by the Council (minutes of meeting)
- The Treasurer is responsible for managing any funds raised by the Student Council
- The Treasurer should keep a complete account of all income and expenditure of the Council
- The Treasurer should provide the Council with a complete financial report at the end of the school year.
- Publications are responsible for promoting good communications between the Council and the student body as well as consulting with teachers, parents and school management on issues affecting the student body
The Secondary Student Council also has several divisions that organizes activities of the Student Council programme. Those divisions are Arts, Sports, Academics, and Social Service divisions. Each member of the Secondary Student Council always participates in programmes such as the student’s orientation, Teachers day, Secondary Students Council Leadership Camp, Flea market with Parents group, Caring month and also Promenade night. They work together as one team and make sure that all Student Council programmes run successfully.
Besides, the student council organization, secondary students are prepared to be the leader within their community by participating in many programs/event such as:
- Leadership Camp
In the first semester of grade 7 and 10, students participate in this three day two night event in which students learn how to improve among others things their intra and interpersonal skills. Those are the most essential skills to develop as a leader.
- Scout Camp
As continuation of the leadership camp, students of the same grade undergo a three day two night trip. During this event, students continue improving their self management, inter and intra-personal skills as well some basic survival and scouting skills.
- Flag Raising
Students are given opportunities to be the officers during the flag raising ceremonies which are held every Monday. This is a good practice to improve their self confidence, discipline and patriotism.
SEKOLAH VICTORY PLUS - (SVP)
The first IB World School in Kota Bekasi
The 9th Continuum IB World School in Indonesia
SEKOLAH VICTORY PLUS
Jl . Citra Niaga Raya AO 1-14
Kemang Pratama - Kota Bekasi - MAPS
7.30 am - 16.00 pm (Mon - Fri)
7.30 am - 12.00 am (Sat)
Telephone : (+62) 21 8240 3878
Whatsapp: (+62) 819-9016-8777